Thread: EA Praises COD Elite.. Says It Would Be Great For BF3. WUT ??

1. #1 EA Praises COD Elite.. Says It Would Be Great For BF3. WUT ?? 
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended

One of the many ways that BF3 players have been able to "1up" themselves over MW3 players is that they don't have to pay $60 year for downloadable content. Well... That just might be about to change, as EA's John Riccitiello openly praised the subscription service when speaking to investors recently. In fact, big John actually welcomes the idea of such a service, even calling Bobby Kodick's move "a best in-class performance". WTF ?? Is EA gonna follow CoD's lead, and bring a subscription service to BF3 ? Say it ain't so John... Say it ain't so !

Yet the pieces are already in place... The numbers are there as far as players go. The publisher just confirmed that 11 million copies of Battlefield 3 had been sold so far. But traditionally Battlefield hasn't seen a yearly release cycle like the CoD franchise, so it'll be hard to get players used to paying a yearly fee on top of the $59 they already coughed up for the game. Also, DICE will need to be on board with the move, and looking at their past, the developer isn't known for releasing small bits of content when it comes time to expand their titles.

Still tho.. It's highly unlikely that EA will let an opportunity to profit from the popularity of Battlefield 3 pass them by, so don't be surprised if EA announces some type of Battlefield subscription in the near future. With Battlelog firmly in place, and one of the most dedicated communities around, the cornerstones are set for the publisher to move forward.

So, are we gonna be paying a monthly fee for EVERY game we play ?? Let's see, for me that would include: BF3 $5/mo, D3 $5/mo, CS:GO $5/mo, Skyrim $5/mo... Ahhh, that's $240 per year !?!? I remember how Activision jokingly sold Elite when it came out:"This will cost you around $5 a month, something you probably spent on Starbucks this morning,”. Yeah... Right. Well, it looks like I won't be able to afford coffee anymore :\

John Riccitiello's Thoughts

Activision: Starbux ?
    Last edited by InSaNeOldGuy; 02-05-2012 at 07:13 PM.

PG LANS Attended
    Two words:

fuck and no.

Not paying for that bullshit EA.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."

PG LANS Attended
    read the signature....... says it all right there... RIP bf

PG LANS Attended
    Ok, looks like I'm done with video games! Time to expand the gun collection!

PG LANS Attended
    I already did.... Bought a Ruger and 500 more rounds of 7.62mm
    Last edited by texanman; 02-06-2012 at 04:37 AM.

PG LANS Attended
    I am going to buy the dlc anyway so if they did a CoD elite type system where you can pay $50 and get the dlc and a few extra features I would be for it. The CoD elite system is just extra on top of the current game, you don't lose anything from not having it. I don't see them taking anything from the current version of battlelog away, what ever you pay for would be on top of whats already included for free right now.

So say they release the next dlc in March or April for $15. The first dlc was $15, if you did not get the LE version, so some people are already $30 extra into this game. If we had been paying $5 a month since launch it would have covered the cost of both dlc's.

I just don't see the big deal. I know why people are upset at the cost but it takes way more time, people and money to make maps and other content now days then it did back in the time of free map packs 10 years ago. Also remember when you take inflation into account we are actually paying less for a game now then we did in 2000 when they were $49.99.

PG LANS Attended
    Well the major problem I see (not just EA but others as well) is that they either release these games then expect you to pay $1-5 here and there for these little packs of weapons or maps that should be included with the game in the first place. For example saints row 3, while the game is great on day one they had 3 dlc packs for little items here and there for 3 bucks each when they could have just included them. Instead they wanted a money grab. EA did the same thing with karkand, they had their marketing department say all sorts of things but they could have just threw it with the original game if they so wanted. I guess its just a problem of this current generation of gaming. I miss the grand ol days of expansion packs where companies would actually put time and effort into creating content instead of making a new map here or there and charging a premium.

*steps of soapbox*

Thread Information