Thread: AMD Radeon R9 Cards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21  
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wake Island
    Posts
    2,271
    PG LANS Attended
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg1 View Post

    GeForce GTX 780 is getting dropped from $649 to $499
    Impressive... That's a HUGE price decrease.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Posts
    372
    PG LANS Attended
    7
    Jason I know you have been waiting for this here is the Sapphire 290x Tri-X custom cooler:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0

    Name:  11226-00_R9_290X_TRI-X_4GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_2DVI_PCIE_C02_635225387958378267_600_600.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  52.2 KB

    PcPer has a great review of this custom cooler http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...cs-Card-Review

    They gave it the Gold award.
    Last edited by Neg1; 01-01-2014 at 12:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    LAN Member mrevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    299
    PG LANS Attended
    9
    Good luck buying a card though. Looks like all the Litecoin miners are snapping up every AMD Powered board they can get their hands on. Strolled by the video card aisle at Fry's and they had 2 AMD cards on the shelf. Not two types, just two cards. Both low end GPUs.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wake Island
    Posts
    2,271
    PG LANS Attended
    30
    I saw that Sapphire 290x card last night on NewEgg, only it was $629 last night and now $699 for some reason :\ And as Evil is saying, it was sold out then and it's sold out now and no idea when they'll have available stock.

    Gotta tell you guys tho... I'm hesitant to jump on two of these cards till I read more reviews due to the heat and drivers, etc.. I'm actually comparing these cards to the ones the Neg1 bought and will probably talk more with him about those. I went red after the wood screws but AMD needs to step it up if they're gonna be $20 cheaper than a 780Ti imo.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Posts
    372
    PG LANS Attended
    7
    The rumor mill has been saying that AMD has held back the supply of chips till the custom coolers could be designed since the stock cooler is not really good enough for Hawaii. We will see in a few weeks how many of these custom cooler cards hit the market.

    Best bet if you are looking for a 290x is to set up an auto notification at newegg and amazon.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    LAN Member mrevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    299
    PG LANS Attended
    9
    It's not AMD setting the price in this case. It's all the guys snapping up cards to mine virtual currency, the retailers are just raising the price to meet demand.

    Heat hasn't been an issue for my 290X though. As long as you have sufficient cool air coming into the chassis to feed the video card fan it'll stay cool enough. Running two though I'd be looking at a new chassis with new H2O Loop and bigger radiator.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Posts
    372
    PG LANS Attended
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaNeOldGuy View Post
    I saw that Sapphire 290x card last night on NewEgg, only it was $629 last night and now $699 for some reason :\ And as Evil is saying, it was sold out then and it's sold out now and no idea when they'll have available stock.

    Gotta tell you guys tho... I'm hesitant to jump on two of these cards till I read more reviews due to the heat and drivers, etc.. I'm actually comparing these cards to the ones the Neg1 bought and will probably talk more with him about those. I went red after the wood screws but AMD needs to step it up if they're gonna be $20 cheaper than a 780Ti imo.
    If you are cool with waiting longer the latest rumors have the Nvidia Maxwell line releasing in February. I am very interested in how the Maxwell GPU will stack up vs the current AMD and Kepler line. Maxwell will be the first GPU core with an integrated ARMv8 core that's designed to make the GPU less reliant on the CPU.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    LAN Member mrevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    299
    PG LANS Attended
    9
    Kyle, you just mentioned the ARM v8 core on the Maxwell because you know I'll buy one didn't you?
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wake Island
    Posts
    2,271
    PG LANS Attended
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg1 View Post
    If you are cool with waiting longer the latest rumors have the Nvidia Maxwell line releasing in February. I am very interested in how the Maxwell GPU will stack up vs the current AMD and Kepler line.
    I think it will take at least that long for the dust to settle..


    Quote Originally Posted by Neg1 View Post
    Maxwell will be the first GPU core with an integrated ARMv8 core that's designed to make the GPU less reliant on the CPU.
    Like Mantle, which has supposedly been delayed till January b/c of all the problems with BF4 (link). Right now I'd say I'm sittin' on top of the fence with no loyalty to either green or red. Whoever unleashes the best card will have my money x2.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Dallas, Texas, United States
    Posts
    372
    PG LANS Attended
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by mrevil View Post
    Kyle, you just mentioned the ARM v8 core on the Maxwell because you know I'll buy one didn't you?

    A little but it is an interesting thing to add to GPUs. GPUs really haven't changed much since directx 10 was released and introduced the unified shaders and tessellation tech. That was introduced way back in 2006 with the Radeon 2000 and GeForce 8 series cards. Since then the tech has gotten better but just small incremental upgrades in the overall speed of the cards.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •