Thread: AMD Radeon R9 Cards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg1 View Post

GeForce GTX 780 is getting dropped from $649 to $499
    Impressive... That's a HUGE price decrease.

PG LANS Attended
    Jason I know you have been waiting for this here is the Sapphire 290x Tri-X custom cooler:
    http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...n=&lid=1&leg=0

Name:  11226-00_R9_290X_TRI-X_4GBGDDR5_DP_HDMI_2DVI_PCIE_C02_635225387958378267_600_600.JPG
Views: 24
Size:  52.2 KB

PcPer has a great review of this custom cooler http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphic...cs-Card-Review

They gave it the Gold award.
    Last edited by Neg1; 01-01-2014 at 12:58 AM.

PG LANS Attended
    Good luck buying a card though. Looks like all the Litecoin miners are snapping up every AMD Powered board they can get their hands on. Strolled by the video card aisle at Fry's and they had 2 AMD cards on the shelf. Not two types, just two cards. Both low end GPUs.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    I saw that Sapphire 290x card last night on NewEgg, only it was $629 last night and now $699 for some reason :\ And as Evil is saying, it was sold out then and it's sold out now and no idea when they'll have available stock.

Gotta tell you guys tho... I'm hesitant to jump on two of these cards till I read more reviews due to the heat and drivers, etc.. I'm actually comparing these cards to the ones the Neg1 bought and will probably talk more with him about those. I went red after the wood screws but AMD needs to step it up if they're gonna be $20 cheaper than a 780Ti imo.

PG LANS Attended
    The rumor mill has been saying that AMD has held back the supply of chips till the custom coolers could be designed since the stock cooler is not really good enough for Hawaii. We will see in a few weeks how many of these custom cooler cards hit the market.

Best bet if you are looking for a 290x is to set up an auto notification at newegg and amazon.

PG LANS Attended
    It's not AMD setting the price in this case. It's all the guys snapping up cards to mine virtual currency, the retailers are just raising the price to meet demand.

Heat hasn't been an issue for my 290X though. As long as you have sufficient cool air coming into the chassis to feed the video card fan it'll stay cool enough. Running two though I'd be looking at a new chassis with new H2O Loop and bigger radiator.

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by InSaNeOldGuy View Post
    I saw that Sapphire 290x card last night on NewEgg, only it was $629 last night and now $699 for some reason :\ And as Evil is saying, it was sold out then and it's sold out now and no idea when they'll have available stock.

Gotta tell you guys tho... I'm hesitant to jump on two of these cards till I read more reviews due to the heat and drivers, etc.. I'm actually comparing these cards to the ones the Neg1 bought and will probably talk more with him about those. I went red after the wood screws but AMD needs to step it up if they're gonna be $20 cheaper than a 780Ti imo.
    If you are cool with waiting longer the latest rumors have the Nvidia Maxwell line releasing in February. I am very interested in how the Maxwell GPU will stack up vs the current AMD and Kepler line. Maxwell will be the first GPU core with an integrated ARMv8 core that's designed to make the GPU less reliant on the CPU.

PG LANS Attended
    Kyle, you just mentioned the ARM v8 core on the Maxwell because you know I'll buy one didn't you?

PG LANS Attended
    If you are cool with waiting longer the latest rumors have the Nvidia Maxwell line releasing in February. I am very interested in how the Maxwell GPU will stack up vs the current AMD and Kepler line.
    I think it will take at least that long for the dust to settle..

Maxwell will be the first GPU core with an integrated ARMv8 core that's designed to make the GPU less reliant on the CPU.
    Like Mantle, which has supposedly been delayed till January b/c of all the problems with BF4 (link). Right now I'd say I'm sittin' on top of the fence with no loyalty to either green or red. Whoever unleashes the best card will have my money x2.

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by mrevil View Post
    Kyle, you just mentioned the ARM v8 core on the Maxwell because you know I'll buy one didn't you?

A little but it is an interesting thing to add to GPUs. GPUs really haven't changed much since directx 10 was released and introduced the unified shaders and tessellation tech. That was introduced way back in 2006 with the Radeon 2000 and GeForce 8 series cards. Since then the tech has gotten better but just small incremental upgrades in the overall speed of the cards.

Thread Information