Thread: Intel Austin LANFest Winter 2013 Dec. 20th - 22nd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Intel Austin LANFest Winter 2013 Dec. 20th - 22nd 
    PG LANS Attended
    https://lanfest.intel.com/events/austin-winter-2013

I hope some of you guys can make it out. It's no Powers Gaming LAN, but always a good time.

PG LANS Attended
    Well I got banned from this event and I guess all future Austin intel lanfest events. Watch out and don't criticize the event or offer ways to make it better. The people who run this are set in their ways and don't want to make it better.

PG LANS Attended
    John got defensive because the event that he has worked on was called crap and a few people jumped on. I understand it in a way, He doesn't get paid to plan and run those events, and he has been trying to grow Austin LANfest for awhile. The budget they give him is anemic and gets smaller every time. This time they pulled the food funding and pretty much told him it would need to be covered out of the money raised for the event which he didn't want to do. The internet thing is what it is. Yes it is at an Intel site but a corporate network is not setup for a bunch of random people plugging into it. He fights for what he gets but it is out of his control from that standpoint. We have looked at external providers but the cost for a one time event is crazy.

With that said, John is no diplomat. He lacks soft skills, this is no surprise to anyone that know him. Once he calms down, no one will be banned from anything. As for LANfest at SXSW yes, it is looking really good. Alienware has commited 190 systems and SXSW has promised us BYOC which was the requirement for us coming back this year.

PG LANS Attended
    Boy I wish I could see the conversation this all took place in... Banning that crazy negger takes some serious steel cahones... (on account of him being such a nice guy)

/fluffing
    Chance that this post was sarcastic in nature: 81.423%

PG LANS Attended
    I wont be able to make it to this one anyways.
    Zion: Intel 6700K---Gigabyte GA-Z170MX---GSkill 16GB Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600---EVGA SC 1080 GTX---Asus ROG PG278Q

Nebuchadnezzar: Sager NP9377---Intel Core i7-4710MQ--8 GB DDR3---2x 980m GTX

Quakecon 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    PG LAN 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016

PG LANS Attended
    Two other people were calling the lan crap for the most part. I chimed in and put the blame on Intel the main sponsor of the event for not giving the Austin lanfest group the same resources as the other lanfest events around the country. John the guy who runs this lan took my comments on Intel personally and removed me from the email list and lanfest group on facebook. This may be in part because he is in Intel employee.

Having run lans of varying sizes I know what it takes to run a lan, cost, planning, getting sponsors etc. Take the upcoming Fadecon lan in Dallas, its a 80 person lan at a Hyatt conference room, has a 50/50 internet connection and only cost $2k for a 30 hour period. Fade sold all 80 seats for $45, took the extra money got a Pallet of bawls(80 cases), 2 kegs of beer and tshirts for all 80 people. Fade has also lined up tons of sponsors and swag.

Take the upcoming lanfest, free location, next to no internet, no food or drinks this year, no sponsors have been announced even though lanfest should make it easy for the organizers to contact the gold/silver level sponsors. Unorganized tourneys, lack of pre planning and getting the word out make this lan not fun to attend.
    That intel has run this lan at this location many times now and has sold out its clear they have no intention on growing this or finding a better venue. Intel clearly does not care enough to grow the PC gaming community.

A person who will remain anonymous had this to say about lanfest when he had heard that it was happening this year "The last LAN fest in Austin was the MOST depressing LAN I've ever been to."

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by Neg1 View Post
    Two other people were calling the lan crap for the most part. I chimed in and put the blame on Intel the main sponsor of the event for not giving the Austin lanfest group the same resources as the other lanfest events around the country. John the guy who runs this lan took my comments on Intel personally and removed me from the email list and lanfest group on facebook. This may be in part because he is in Intel employee.

Having run lans of varying sizes I know what it takes to run a lan, cost, planning, getting sponsors etc. Take the upcoming Fadecon lan in Dallas, its a 80 person lan at a Hyatt conference room, has a 50/50 internet connection and only cost $2k for a 30 hour period. Fade sold all 80 seats for $45, took the extra money got a Pallet of bawls(80 cases), 2 kegs of beer and tshirts for all 80 people. Fade has also lined up tons of sponsors and swag.

Take the upcoming lanfest, free location, next to no internet, no food or drinks this year, no sponsors have been announced even though lanfest should make it easy for the organizers to contact the gold/silver level sponsors. Unorganized tourneys, lack of pre planning and getting the word out make this lan not fun to attend.
    That intel has run this lan at this location many times now and has sold out its clear they have no intention on growing this or finding a better venue. Intel clearly does not care enough to grow the PC gaming community.

A person who will remain anonymous had this to say about lanfest when he had heard that it was happening this year "The last LAN fest in Austin was the MOST depressing LAN I've ever been to."
    I'd have to agree with the last bit. It was like being at a funeral.

PG LANS Attended
    I posted this on the intel lanfest facebook page https://www.facebook.com/JoinLANFest

LANFest sponsored by Intel I am extremely disappointed in the way the Austin LanFest is being run and organized. The Austin lan suffers from a lack of organization and planning. I am also sadden to see the lack of support from Intel for the Austin and Texas lan scene. That private lan groups like Fadecon and PGlan are able to pull off better events than a multibillion dollar corporation is embarrassing. I hope you take this to heart and partner with a better organizer and find a better more suitable venue for lans in Austin or DFW.

PG LANS Attended
    I'd open my mouth publicly, but I work for an intel competitor and not only would it reflect poorly upon me, but also my employer.

I'd offer to help out more, but I think I'm already out just because of my employer. Which is fine, I'll just have to stop being lazy and start my own LAN with blackjack and hookers.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by mrevil View Post
    I'd open my mouth publicly, but I work for an intel competitor and not only would it reflect poorly upon me, but also my employer.

I'd offer to help out more, but I think I'm already out just because of my employer. Which is fine, I'll just have to stop being lazy and start my own LAN with blackjack and hookers.

I think that may be the problem with the current lanfest organizers that they are Intel employees and because they are they don't stand up to intel and try as hard as the other lanfest events that are held by outside organizers and just sponsored by lanfest.

Thread Information