Thread: Cable and internet discussion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cable and internet discussion 
    PG LANS Attended
    Guys looking at changing my cable and internet. Suggestions?

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    In CC there's only TW and Grande.com as I recall... Which one do you have now ?

PG LANS Attended
    Att uverse but looking at grande 110mbps down 11up

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Man I hate ATT...

Long term contracts :\ 24 months for Uverse; for their upcoming Fiber in Austin (which is not even a true "fiber" btw) it's 36 mos lol.
    Too much money for too little product :\ Everybody else is cheaper.
    Limited number of computers online :\ 5 computers. I refuse to have some moron tell me how many computers I can hook up.
    Copper lines instead of cable :\ 'Nuf said there... Cable > Copper 24/7
    And if you're one day late... They start calling lol.

Here's another reason to hate those guys: From CES today (link) and (link)

I commend you for moving to another carrier sir... Let's look at El Grande:

From the get-go, it looks good for new customers (link); $169 for the 110/11 and TV. But wait... Is that some fine print I see down there ?? Hmmm:

"Bundle price shown will apply for one year from the date that all services are installed. Bundle price will increase by $15 in months 13-24 and then by an additional $15 in months 25 - 36. Bundle pricing will revert to then current standard retail rates in month 37. If you change or disconnect any or all of the services at any time during the 36-month promotional period, the bundle pricing will no longer apply and Grande's then standard monthly rates will apply to remaining service(s)."

There is no possible way any company will ever lock me into a 3-year contract; that's eternity in the world of high-tech. What if you, or the babe, gets transferred ??

And what guarantee do you have that you'll actually get a full 110 down and 11 up ?? Wait... Buried even further in the extremely small fine print is this little jewel:

"Actual Internet speeds may vary and are not guaranteed."

Finally... There's Time Warner (link). No contracts, which is really nice. My guess is in CC the 50x5 pipe would work just fine, or the 30x5 pipe. All about upload anyway..

Main reason I go with TW however, is this: Intelligent Home For a mere $30/mo, I can control my whole house with my Android. Alarm, thermostat, camera, on and on... And I own the equipment, which is transferable to Comcast Houston should I decide to move there.

Google Fiber is of course the answer to all things.. And they're coming here to Austin in 2014. TW's answer to that is 100/10 which comes out next month. ATT has "GigaPower" as a fiber alternative, but that's a joke as it's still copper to the house lol.

idk man... lot can happen in three years; why get stuck with a dumb 36-month contract ??

Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    If it were me I would probably go for TimeWarner instead of Grande. When I had both, TimeWarner seemed much faster and consistent.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

PG LANS Attended
    I recomend Century Link DSL...

HAHA
    Chance that this post was sarcastic in nature: 81.423%

PG LANS Attended
    I have Comcast/Xfinity. Digital preferred cable (fuckton of channels) + HDDVR and their Blast+ internet package (~70Mpbs up 10Mbps down). Paying right around $110/month. Only other option over here is AT&T and their internet doesn't go over 30Mbps down here for some reason and costs around the same price so there was zero reason to go with them. Plus I ended up with HBO free for 2 years, Showtime free for 3 months and no contract. The only issue I had was actually getting to that point because they fucked up transferring my services to the new apartment and it took a few phone calls and chats to get them to understand what exactly they did wrong. It actually worked out better for me because it got me out of my previous contract and got me a cheaper price on exactly what I had. Other than that, I really haven't had much of an issue with them other than their random maintenance at around 3:30am (right when I get home from work) that happens every once in a while.

Here's my speedtest in case you were wondering. This is over wifi.

PG LANS Attended
    Grande is tops in the few parts of Austin you can get it, that deal down south though doesn't seem so nice. My impressions of Time Warner is that they could even fuck up a free lunch and really aren't even trying now that Google Fiber is rolling into town. AT&T just ran new interduct and cable to my Apartment complex so I bet I could get Gigapower here, but they also have their stupid bullshit data cap (yes even on Gigapower) and FUCK THAT NOISE.

I'll either continue to let TWC tweak their nipples at my misfortune or get Google Fiber depending on where I move to after my current lease is up.
    "Across the vast gulf of space and time, the jimmies rustle softly."

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by mrevil View Post
    but they also have their stupid bullshit data cap (yes even on Gigapower) and FUCK THAT NOISE.
    I'm so grateful that I don't have a data cap as of right now. I'm worried about what exactly it is going to be when they reinstate it though.

This is what I'm afraid of:
    https://customer.comcast.com/help-an...ans-launching/

Being charged an extra $10 for every 50gb I go over 300gb. Fuck everything about that.
    Last edited by ryan3243; 01-10-2014 at 01:19 AM.

PG LANS Attended
    Dallas went live with the new Ultimate 75 tier from Time Warner cable last month. Called today to upgrade here is what I now get,
    Name:  3285366509.png
Views: 33
Size:  31.9 KB

Rumor has it that since they just moved the last few analog channels to digital this month and that in the next few months they will increase the upload speeds, I am hoping for 10Mb/s down minimum when they upgrade the upload.
    Last edited by Neg1; 02-06-2014 at 07:24 AM.

Thread Information