Thread: Debunking The "High Ping" Myth

1. #1 Debunking The "High Ping" Myth 
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    It is true, that years ago high ping had a negative effect on game servers.. But that was back when... Today, Games, Game Servers and OS's make use of "lag compensation", and of course the Internet is much better worldwide.

I do not claim to be an expert on this matter. But anybody who runs a gameserver will at some point have to deal with this myth, and in so doing, discover the truth: High Ping has no effect, unless somebody is hacking..

That's probably going to be like dropping a bombshell to several of you guys, so I'm simply going to post up a few explanations I found that do a great job of debunking this myth. Undoubtedly, somebody somewhere will pull out a blowtorch and light this thread up, so I'm telling you up front that I am not going to respond. If you don't believe me, just GTS (Google That Shit) yourself. Set your filter for "last year" so you don't get confused by ancient history.

As there must be a million threads and posts on this subject, you will find that in each thread, there is always one rational guy who knows the truth and will take the time to explain. And the truth will be the same no matter where you go, because there is but one truth.

1) Here's a really good one on the Steam forums that's been copied/pasted everywhere recently. The guy who speaks the truth is aptly named, "Brainlaag", which I find a bit humorous. The topic is entitled, "High pingers making games upplayable" (Here 'Tis)

2) Another good explanation, from yet another forum:

"A high ping does NOT effect other players ping time, a total myth that has come around for several reasons.

IF the game you're playing uses ping compensation (timestamped packets) then players who have high pings might use fractionally more CPU time on the server, but this will ONLY effect other players if the server is setup badly, for example if the server has barely any spare cpu cycles left. That is a server setup problem however.

Depending on what game engine a higher ping might mean your position in the map changes more erratically, making you harder to hit, some engines compensate for this by artificially smoothing movement.

Most admins kick high pingers because the effects of ping compensation seem unfair - although they're really not. It seems like sometimes you're shot around corners or through large objects, but this is not what is happening, the ping compensation is fair to the lagger because it allows him to aim at the person it just updates late in the server, the gunfights are still fair, despite what some people think. Its just a lack of understanding of how it works.

But no matter the circumstance, one player lagging does NOT make other players lag, if anyone experiences something that feels like this, its probably a badly setup server, and thats a server problem and numerous other things that cause extra load (such as lots of people in the same area, or other clients connecting) will cause the same problem." (source)

3) Somebody else speaks out with the truth:

"Your target's latency has no effect on hit registration in any way. The hit calculations are handled on the client, the server simply passes the information on (As well as a small additional check to hit players that do not have relevancy and therefor aren't passed to the clients; this adds hits, but can never negate hits). The only time that I'm aware of the server invalidating hits is if the shooter is dead (on the server) at the moment the shot arrives on the server.

It shouldn't affect server load, either. As far as the server is concerned, there is no real difference between a player pinging 60ms and one pinging 350ms. In fact, the server wouldn't even be able to tell the difference between the two players if it did not specifically have a mechanism to determine latency.

The idea that high-ping players lag the server has been a pretty pervasive myth in FPS gaming for a while now. You'd have to go all the way back to Doom and similar-era peer-to-peer lockstep methods to see it in an FPS. Some RTS games use something similar, which generally isn't an issue, but might be responsible for it being in the popular conscious.

(Some people say Arma 2 works that way. I doubt it, but they seem so bizarrely bad about networking that it wouldn't entirely surprise me. Unfortunately, most of the player base seems so technically incompetent that they can't even figure out what sort of hit-detection method the game has, much less finer details like that...)" (source)

I could go on and on and on and on... But there's beer in a nearby cooler and no lag getting there.

PG LANS Attended
    Ah hahaha... So the truth comes out... My crappy internet would indeed still be playable :P
    Chance that this post was sarcastic in nature: 81.423%

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    Oh, I can play if I forget to turn off my VPN, but the latency creates so much lag that I can't hit a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Self-Inflicted Wound View Post
    Oh, I can play if I forget to turn off my VPN, but the latency creates so much lag that I can't hit a damn thing.
    Hi,

Which VPN you are using? Before some time I have the same issue of high ping or lag, I fix this via Gaming VPN. I don't think any of these tips will work. I read many guides on different gaming blogs, I found only solution is Gaming VPN. So if you want to fix this issue I suggest you to first read about it then buy any kind of software or client.

Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    For me it's just about the smoothness and less compensation if your ping is better to a server. Another players ping will not affect my hit registration unless I'm trying to kill that particular player and in that case it would be tough to predict where my bullets will land if he's lagging.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

Thread Information