Thread: Tech HELP!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tech HELP!!! 
    LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    Okay,
    I went out and purchased a Gigabyte Windforce r9 290x. It worked for a few days and I started seeing issues. I would get an error saying the display driver crashed.. I did a lot of research looking for fixes but nothing worked so I RMA'd the card. I get he card two weeks later and i'm having the same freaking issues.

Here is a quick video of my screen from my phone..

Has anyone seen this? Sure don't want to RMA this bitch again, and wait another freaking month... sigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLcaRkAKIW4

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    DDU uninstaller removed all drivers, reinstalled clean (latest) AMD driver. jumped back in game, played a whole round without issue. Map changed, driver crashed.. system rebooted. BAH.

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    If Jordan's suggestions didn't fix this, then it's something serious.

What I would do at this point is work thru a process of elimination. Pull that vid card and try another one to see how stable that system is. If it crashes with a different card, then it's not the 290x. My guess is it's a memory issue; either in the memory itself or on the mobo. Replace the mem and see what happens OR pull all existing sticks and run with 8g in the appropriate slots. If it crashes, replace with the other two sticks (I'm guessing you have 4x4g or better).

My second guess is OS related. Upgrade from Win8 to Win7 and see how that flies.

If it's none of the above, continue the elimination procedure thru the psu, etc. to eliminate all variables until you reach teh mobo and processor as the remaining choice of villains. At that point, knowing all other components are good to go, I'd buy this and put this on it..

Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Try to figure out if it's the card, take the card to a friend's house and see if the same thing happens in another computer. If you don't want to do that then slap a new drive in and rebuild the O's from scratch with all the updated drivers, basically stock system.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    If you want mail me the card and I'll put it in my guest computer that is same mobo that you have.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    its a fresh install of windows 8. Switched out the PS from my 1000 to 800. Gigabyte is telling me to RMA it again and they will swap it out this time. But i'm going to have to pay another 25 bucks to ship it... gah! I'm going to put it in a friends machine to see if it is the card. I'll let you guys know. thanks for the help.

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Screw Win8 ---> Upgrade to Win7

What about memory ? Did you check that ?

RMA the mobo; tho I can't remember the last time a problem like this was mobo related but at least you'll have a new one.

Probably not the vid card, b/c you've tried several of those.

Not the PSU, as you pointed out above.

That leaves HDD, mem and Win8.

OR it's some kind of electrical issue harbored in the circuitry of the mobo.

Sry you're having to deal with this........... Nothing pisses me off more than a computer (or a woman) that won't follow orders.

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    okay, so I turned off mantle again, and tried it. I was able to play for 2 straight hours on DX11. I closed out the game, then pulled up a webpage and got a BSOD with artifact lines though it. It rebooted, and came back up to another BSOD.. then rebooted to win8. THis shit is wack!

PG LANS Attended
    I'll look at this tonight bsod and artifacting I would Rma again but first on your psu. Are you using two completely separate cables one for 8pin connector and one for 6pin? Sometime the psu come with a single cable that splits at video card with two 6+2 pin connectors don't use both of the connectors. This card pulls way too much amperage to use the single cable.
    Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.

3rd law of thermodynamics: things go worse under pressure.

If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    actually took the card to a friends and tried his his system. It played for a while, we closed out the game and after about 10 min of surfing it blue screened when he opened a freaking .jpg. RMA #2 coming.

Thread Information