Thread: Biometric Security coming via Mouse

1. #1 Biometric Security coming via Mouse 
    PG LANS Attended
    Name:  Image00001.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  88.1 KB

Synaptics is bringing to market a new product "IronVeil" that will incorporate a fingerprint scanner into the mouse to enable biometric security authentication for the desktop PC.

The purpose for Synaptics bringing IronVeil to the market has a lot to do with the increasing need for more security and having to remember multiple complex passwords and/or use multiple factors of authentication like an SMS message. These have all made the PC user experience much worse because people forget or mistype their passwords and in some cases can get locked out. The likelihood that users will forget their passwords only goes up as they use more mobile devices that already have biometric security installed. Once you add up all of the time from forgotten passwords and mistyped passwords, you start to realize that something like IronVeil makes a lot more sense since it requires physical presence for security as well as doesn’t require the user to remember any complicated passwords.

Link to article
    QuakeCon: 2009 (General), 2010 - 2014 (BYOC), 2015 (QdQ), 2016 (UAC)
    QuakeCon Volunteer: 2010 (cabling), 2014 -2016 (tournament setup)
    PowersGaming LAN: Nov 2016
    Peace Love & Rockets: PLR 15, PLR 16
    FadeCon: 2015, 2016, 2017
    PAX South: 2015
    Dreamhack Austin: 2016 (Founder)

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    The likelihood that users will forget their passwords only goes up as they use more mobile devices that already have biometric security installed. Once you add up all of the time from forgotten passwords and mistyped passwords, you start to realize that something like IronVeil makes a lot more sense
    Absolute truth here... I dunno if it's gluten, or social media taking over peoples' lives, but nowadays most ppl are morons. I see it in my business everyday; ppl can't "think" anymore. Perhaps the brain, without sufficient mental and physical "exercise", without a supportive, healthy diet, becomes mush over time.

Drink coffee everyday and have lots of sex... That's my answer.

Thread Information