Thread: Starting a new Rig

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Starting a new Rig 
    LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    Last edited by Kickitz; 03-20-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Looks pretty good man I'm going to look at this again when I have some more time and see if you might have missed something or better hardware for same price.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
    Looks pretty good man I'm going to look at this again when I have some more time and see if you might have missed something or better hardware for same price.
    Same here... I already see some changes that can be made. But VERY GLAD to see you making this upgrade !

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    I plan on looking up exactly what cables and what I need on specific things and the smaller stuff but for a overview that's what I found that works best with a affordable build

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    First thing I'd suggest is getting NewEgg Premier for a free 30-day trial and save a ton of money plus get faster shipping.

Case.. Looks good.. lots of options.

Processor.. Nice choice.

Memory... Can't go wrong with Dominator. Cooling fans are kinda cheese so we've never installed them.

SSD... Can't go wrong with Samsung; plenty of space with 1TB

Mobos... I personally like this mobo ... better reviews.. same options; audio is better. Comparison here with the one you're thinking of getting. $20 cheaper.

Power Supplies.. I've bought about 10 Corsairs in the last two years and wasn't happy with their cooling options and lack of cabling. EVGA currently has the best out there, and you'll know it the minute you open the box. Here's their version of the same Platinum 80 Plus 1000. Stellar reviews... 10yr warranty.. Not gonna have C-Link but honestly I've never used that anyway. $1 more.

Video Card... Once again EVGA just has the best out there imo; also like Precision, the cooling / overclocking software. We've got several of these Superclocked ACX variants; they're proven to stand up to anything. $160 cheaper.

Other Thoughts: Another reason to not spend too much $$$ on a vid card right now is the 1090Ti's are coming soon (link). So run that 980Ti until next year maybe when the 1090Ti's come down in price. Remember with anything you buy from EVGA, go to their site and register it.

ASUS QVL and Device Support for that mobo is here. Your particular memory isn't on there, but honestly ASUS doesn't keep up with the everchanging landscape of memory these days.
    Last edited by InSaNeOldGuy; 04-03-2016 at 02:42 PM.

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    thanks man for all of your input I have to agree on the video card and power shockey has even told me time and time again I have to get a EVGA card cause they just fucking work so well than anything he has ever had.

also I think I wana stick with mobo I have I just love the look of it and also it hold up well against the ranger yall know I don't have a big deal with audio quality I might later but for a start audio does not effect me to much.

PG LANS Attended
    Case: looks good. Pretty standard. Biggest thing is to make sure it can fit the GPU you're going to get

Mobo: I haven't liked an ASUS board in a while. There are tons of boards far better than that one out there. I know you're going for looks, but your PC isn't going to look good if your mobo is toast after a month or two. I suggest reading through the reviews a bit and see if you can find some common complaints (ram not working, fails to boot, etc.).

Power: I don't really know much about Corsiar PSUs but it seems decent. I'd have to agree with Jason on his recommendation.

CPU: again, pretty standard.

HDD: Samsung is definitely my recommendation. You might also want to check out M.2 cards as well if you have the money to spare.

GPU: I will always recommend an EVGA card as well. I completely stand by their brand. Like Jason said, there are rumors floating around that the new cards will be announced soon so it might be worth it to wait. I do say the EVGA has a 90-day step-up program so you can basically upgrade to the newest card and just pay the difference if that card is released within 90 days of your purchase.

You also might want to look into a water-cooling setup. Especially since the CPU doesn't come with a heatsink/fan. There are also several other non-liquid cooling things to go with as well. You will definitely need some sort of cooling to go with the CPU.

Other than that, it looks pretty solid. You're going to have one hell of a rig once it's built. Hopefully it won't overheat either.

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    one of the big things imm starting this rig is to make a cool running pc don't worry

PG LANS Attended
    Just make sure you get good parts, don't go for looks over functionality or you will be that guy at the LAN that can't get his comp to work right. Then everyone is sitting and waiting on you, don't be that guy bruh.

If you show up to the LAN with an OVERCLOCKED POS that has the same issues as your laptop I will personally kick you in the nuts with my steel toe boots.

PG LANS Attended
    If you were a real G you would go with this GOD LIKE Monster!

X99A GodLike Gaming Carbon
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-921-_-Product

Thread Information