Thread: Discord Server?

1. #1 Discord Server? 
    LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    So I know this has been bought up before last years LAN but I would like to suggest it again. Discord is a new voice comm's service that is going around, it's free to use, has a great mobile, web, and desktop client, remembers all your settings with one login and end user's don't have to change anything if the admin changes something on the server. Has a persistent chat that we can use to discuss the LAN though out the year, including multiple chat rooms and the ability to have admin room's setup and rooms just for particular teams. Several members have been using it though out the year and they have been very happy with it. I use it daily to talk with my different gaming groups and interact with my friends. It's low latency, easy to setup and work with and I know a lot of the dev's personally. I would be happy to go over the server or client setup with anyone here and really think that it would be a positive switch for this group to make and allow us to become more social though out the year instead of just during the LAN.

I have setup a test server if anyone would like to look at it: https://discord.gg/bY5MzPq
    (I will take down this server if Jason or Jordo request I do)
    Last edited by Praxis123; 08-30-2016 at 10:26 PM.

PG LANS Attended
    I would have to agree with Prax, discord is great. We use it for the Quakecon forums and 7 other groups I know use discord now.

Discord runs in most web browsers, windows client and iphone and android.

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by Praxis123 View Post
    it would be a positive switch for this group to make and allow us to become more social though out the year instead of just during the LAN.
    True... I'll be back in Austin on Saturday night. If you're free on Sunday let's look into it.

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    Jason I am happy to go over it with you or Jordo or both of you when ever. I have the test server up and running and a few people have come by so far and they all say that it looks good so far. Feel free to stop by using the link in my original post when ever.

PG LANS Attended
    Yeah, I gave it a whirl. It honestly does look pretty good. I got on the test server and have been using it this morning a little. I like! Especially the mobile app... Its pretty awesome.

PG LANS Attended
    Been using Discord for several months now (i.e. a2m, Dreamhack Austin, Fadecon, QuakeCon Forums) and really love the interface! The texting capabilities and voice quality are great. Would love to see this used more!
    QuakeCon: 2009 (General), 2010 - 2014 (BYOC), 2015 (QdQ), 2016 (UAC)
    QuakeCon Volunteer: 2010 (cabling), 2014 -2016 (tournament setup)
    PowersGaming LAN: Nov 2016
    Peace Love & Rockets: PLR 15, PLR 16
    FadeCon: 2015, 2016, 2017
    PAX South: 2015
    Dreamhack Austin: 2016 (Founder)

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    what about latency ?

LAN Member
    PG LANS Attended
    I haven't ever seen it over 25ms. I am attaching a pic of how you can check it on the server, the test server we have is located in Dallas so its not that far a jump. They also are about to add friend list integration for Steam and Battle.net.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Praxis123; 09-01-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Thread Information