Thread: Post Your Thoughts On The BF1 Beta Here

1. #1 Post Your Thoughts On The BF1 Beta Here 
    PG LANS Attended
    Played for about 2 or 3 hours last night and figured I'd share my first impressions.

Graphics/Performance

This game is absolutely gorgeous as we have all come to expect from the Battlefield franchise. Everything from the dust storms to the details on the textures is incredibly nice. It seemed to even perform better than BF4 did as well. I was worried about the drivers messing with the game and giving me poor performance but I had a solid 90-100 fps almost the entire time I was playing. The only time it ever dipped lower was when I was spawning on someone but I only knew it dipped because it gave me the low fps icon. The destruction of everything was awesome. Something I definitely missed in BF4.

Sound

As with the graphics, sound is something we have all come to expect EA/Dice to do well and BF1 does not disappoint in the slightest. Everything sounds incredible. The amount of effort put in to make everything sound authentic is astounding. If you close your eyes, you can really envision yourself in the middle of a battlefield. From the voice acting with characters randomly yelling things to the firefights and the planes flying overhead. Very well done.

Gameplay

Now I'm not exactly sure why they changed the way conquest works but for some reason, the ticket system doesn't exist anymore. It's more like a domination mode for some reason. I'm not sure if maybe it's a bug or something they're going to change permanently. I really hope it goes back to the way we're used to playing conquest. The days of dying around corners seem to be gone but it still seems like I'm dying incredibly fast and yet it takes me forever to kill someone. These are the issues I had with BF4 for the longest time until they actually made vast improvements to how the netcode was handled. As far as the guns go, I can't really get too much of an idea of them as there are so few in the beta.

The level system is interesting. I'm not sure how much I like the whole "Warbonds" idea. The class leveling system is apparently bugged right now and it takes AGES to level anything up. According to reports, the problem is the class leveling system resets at the beginning of a new round unless you quit after the game ends and join a new sever. It basically doesn't save your progress at all. The rumor is this is why it seems like it takes forever to get a new class level. People are hitting in the 20s for their main level and still haven't hit level 2 for a class. Since they don't level up, they don't unlock any of the new weapons or tools for any classes. When this gets fixed, I think it will make the system much better.

The tanks are incredibly OP right now. It's made even worse by being unable to unlock any ranged anti-tank weapons due to the class leveling bug. Currently, all the anti-tank stuff is close quarters and very weak. With 5 people huddled in the tank, it makes it almost impossible to even get close enough to take it down. It's incredibly frustrating.

The medic class sucks now. You don't get notified of someone needing a revive unless they hit Q to request a medic. I ended up just running around trying to revive every dead body which usually ended up with me being killed by some random dude who happened to come around the corner while I was trying to revive. Plus, I'm not a fan of the DMR-style guns and there was no way to unlock anything else so I gave up after 2 games and switched to the assault class after that.

Map

The beta map is hands down one of the worst maps I have ever played in the Battlefield franchise. The map is just way too big and feels like it's just big for the sake of being able to be called big. This inner points are nice but everything outside is just downright useless. There is so much open nothingness that it makes the outside points meaningless. Add that to the lack of vehicle spawns and I think I spent more time running around in the middle of nowhere than I did actually shooting things. Not to mention the fact that I can spawn in the middle of nowhere with zero cover and be sniped from across the map in one shot or hit by a tank that I can't hide from. After having this happen to me 4 times in a row at different spawn points, and the only spawn point to spawn at was in the middle of nowhere, I was done.

Conclusion

Overall, I was reminded of both what I like and what I dislike about the Battlefield franchise. I like the graphics, the sounds, and the attention to detail. I also like how it creates an entire atmosphere incredibly well. Finally, I like the team work and playing objectives. I dislike how incredibly easy infantry play is and the amount of just running around doing nothing. I just find playing it so mind-numbing boring 80% of the time. I hardly have to think about anything and it's not challenging. That other 20% is the part I really enjoy. Intense fights for flags and close games where every flag/kill/second counts.

I really hope that the issues I currently have with it are mostly due to the map. I hope they make the alpha map playable at some point because it seems like the general consensus is that the alpha map is far better than the beta one. I also hope they fix the class leveling bug as I'd really like to try out some of the different weapons and gadgets for every class.
    Last edited by ryan3243; 08-31-2016 at 06:38 PM.

PG LANS Attended
    I actually enjoyed the Beta quite a bit!

The graphics were simply amazing, with enough details to make it feels as though you are really there.

The variable weather effects made the gameplay interesting and challenging. Those sandstorms block out everything more than 10 feet away. You can forget spotting or flying a plane in those storms.

The map was immense and wide open. If you spawned in the desert (E flag) then you had quite a long distance to get back to the village where the other flags are located. The desert area is entirely wide open with no cover at all. A sniper can have a field day in that area.

I really enjoyed the beta, although on my last night I did encounter a hacker. He was getting headshots on everyone no matter where they were located (across the map, in a tank, in a building, etc). Hopefully that was just an isolated case and they will have better security in the release product.
    QuakeCon: 2009 (General), 2010 - 2014 (BYOC), 2015 (QdQ), 2016 (UAC)
    QuakeCon Volunteer: 2010 (cabling), 2014 -2016 (tournament setup)
    PowersGaming LAN: Nov 2016
    Peace Love & Rockets: PLR 15, PLR 16
    FadeCon: 2015, 2016, 2017
    PAX South: 2015
    Dreamhack Austin: 2016 (Founder)

PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    The map was immense and wide open. If you spawned in the desert (E flag) then you had quite a long distance to get back to the village where the other flags are located. The desert area is entirely wide open with no cover at all. A sniper can have a field day in that area.

I really enjoyed the beta, although on my last night I did encounter a hacker. He was getting headshots on everyone no matter where they were located (across the map, in a tank, in a building, etc). Hopefully that was just an isolated case and they will have better security in the release product.
    That was one of the problems with the map. So much open nothingness and no easy way to get back into the action. I think the biggest issue was the lack of transport vehicles. In BF4, you had quads and dirt bikes or something to get you to another part of the map quickly. Either there weren't enough in the map or the spawn time was far too long for them. Heck, if you didn't get a vehicle quick enough at the start of the game, you were running all the way.

The way Dice/EA deals with hackers is great. The whole Fairfight system is usually really good and I much prefer it to Valve's anti-cheat (VAC) as it tracks stats as well. Some guy has a 100% headshot rating over a bunch of matches with crazy amounts of kills and they're gone via fairfight. VAC just looks for things that are actually running on your PC and not stats. I highly doubt Fairfight was enabled for the beta. Would be great for them to use the beta to detect some of the hacks and get them banned day 1.

Thread Information