Thread: Austin LANParty Dec 10th

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    Are you a casual gamer? Do you spend time playing console or PC-based video games?
    If so, then perhaps you would like to attend (or volunteer) for one of the largest national events sponsored by Intel. Intel LANFests are a bring-your-own-computer/console (BYOC) computer gaming event with a competitive game tournaments and prize raffles intended to entertain both casual and hardcore gamers.

The Intel LANFest event series is hosted by Intel and organized by Recreational Intel Gaming Group (RIGG)*. These events are put together by gamers for gamers with incredible tournaments of the latest games. You can come and game like there is no tomorrow, check out the latest and greatest in computing technology and games at our demo stations while having the chance to score some sweet prizes and swag.

Intel LANFest returns to Austin for the benefit of the local Capital Area United Way and will be held in the new Cafe' (AN1-150) on Friday, December 10th from 10:00 p.m. through Sunday, December 12th till noon. The event will run nonstop from Friday 10:00 p.m. to noon on Sunday. There are 85 seats to fill. 100% of the ticket proceeds of this event will be donated to the United Way.

You can register for the Bring Your Own Computer or Console (BYOC) at http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&eventid=1595

This event is open to the general public in a FCFS basis. Please help spread the word so we can show how much of a positive impact Gamers can have to the local communities. Kids are welcome but are the responsibility of the parent or guardian. Kids between 16-18 year olds are allowed w/o parent with a signed waiver and kids under16 must have a legal guardian present at all times.

Games and Tournaments are still being discussed with possible events to include StarCraft 2, World of Warcraft (the new expansion) and Left4Dead 2. We are also considering a Wii Mario Kart tournament, but need a console guru to lead this activity.

http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&eventid=1595

2. #2 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    Webmaster, Lead Server, Network, Media and Tournament Admin Jordo's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    StarCraft 2, World of Warcraft (the new expansion) and Left4Dead 2. We are also considering a Wii Mario Kart tournament, but need a console guru to lead this activity.
    What about BC2 or Source? We don't even have any of those above games at our tourneys because FPS is a lot more exciting on LAN.
    BAWLZ DEEP ALL DAY, EVERY DAY !

3. #3 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    BC2 requires Internet connection - while not expected to be a problem; haven't really been focused on games which for sure require internet servers to run. Yes, I know WoW requires an internet server - and so far; WoW players seem to be MIA. I have it on rumor that it may have something to do with Blizzard's over-zealous account locking rules.

Source - as in? Counter Strike? TF2?

The only games I know for sure we are likely going to play are:
    TF2 (assuming we have majority desire)
    L4D2

Regardless; I'm open to just about any game (save one - specific game) as long as it has majority vote among attendees.

4. #4 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    Got the confirmed prizing list today...
    In all about 70% of the attendees will receive some kind of swag.

Potentially high value includes:
    3 Intel procs
    3 Intel boards
    1 Intel 160gb SSD

5. #5 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    PG LANS Attended
    Here are my selections...

Counter-Strike Source
    Battlefield Bad Company 2

6. #6 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    Officially tournies were posted last night:
    http://lanfest.intel.com/?page=event&su ... entid=1595

CSS - no.
    BC2 - not official at this point; no Vtr admin.
    Do you want to run the BC2 tourney? If so; we can find a spot somewhere in the schedule. Maybe sunday morning?

7. #7 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    PG LANS Attended
    Why "no" to CSS? I can guarantee tons more people come to the tourney if you have FPS games.

8. #8 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    We are running FPS games. L4D2, Quake3, TF2, COD4. all are FPS and running tourneys.
    The only non-FPS is StarCraft2 and Wii Mario Cart.

9. #9 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Jordan's right Zitt... There is a HUGE following for CS:S, and it's at other Intel LANfest events. Click on this "LANFEST ATLANTA" link for their upcoming "Winter LAN" and the first thing you see, the top game at that tournament, is Counter Strike: Source. CS:S always brings a lot of participants; it's also easy to run on local servers. My question to you is: What do you have against this game and/or CS players ??

I recall at that first meeting we attended concerning this event, you made two statements that seemed a bit odd to me. You said that you "don't want any 60-year old Counter Strike players" at your LAN, and then went on to tell us how upset you were that "the CS players left early" at your last event and you "would never allow them to come again".

Concerning the latter statements, you might consider structuring your tournament so that the CS:S finals are on the last day, and have other interesting things for these guys to do. If not, and their tournament is over, what's wrong with them leaving early ? I hate being at LAN events when I have nothing to do; might as well be driving home (if they came from a long distance), or headed home (local) to kick back a few beers (you have no alcohol at your event) and watch a football game with friends and family.

Finally, the "60-year old" remark is really bizarre. Although I'm not 60, what's wrong with dads playing a game like CS:S with their sons ? That's what's going on in our corner. My son-in-law also plays with us. It's a family thing, and I'm grateful that both Jordan and Aaron want me to game with them.

10. #10 Re: Austin LANParty Dec 10th 
    PG LANS Attended
    Wow, good find... WTF Zitt?

Thread Information