Thread: Texas Heat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Texas Heat 
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended

Middle of June... 100's across the board, and no rain in sight. What's August gonna be like ?

PG LANS Attended
    My AC already broke once.

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Wish it would rain here. Wouldn't help the lakes tho. Because the humidity here is like low 30's thru most of the day, and temps are well over 100, the ground is nothing but dust. Even if we had several inches of rain it would simply get sucked into the ground. I keep checking for hurricanes; the water temp is heating up fast and they say this year should produce some serious 'cane action. A good 'cane would bring some of the wet stuff to Austin. We'll see...

'cane link

PG LANS Attended
    I am liking the heat! Nice and dry feels like soCAL

PG LANS Attended
    First tropical storm "Arlene" on her way to Mexico. Hoping for a very busy hurricane season this year...

LINK

PG LANS Attended
    Well, I'd hope for a non-destructive hurricane season, I wouldn't wish another Katrina or Rita on anyone... or higher insurance rates. Lots of rain would be nice though.

http://www.instituteofman.com
    Educate Yourself Think for Yourself Take Responsibility for Yourself

PG LANS Attended
    I love 'canes... Living on the Texas coast when I was growing up, I lived through several. Beulah and Carla; Caroline and Allen. I was living 8 miles from the beach in 1970 when Celia hit. That was the most awesome display of power from Mother Nature that I've ever witnessed. The winds came from one direction for the longest time; tearing whole roofs off neighbor's houses and tossing them thru the air like some scene from the Wizard of Oz. Then the eye came. There was no wind whatsoever, and it was completely sunny... tho eerily quiet. Not a single bird; not even an insect was around. Then the eye passed and the winds blew from the other direction; this time much harder, adn the sky was much darker; almost like night. And cold... I remember the street lights trying to come on. The sound was deafening; like half freight train/half jet engine. The whole house shook, and we were thinking maybe Celia would simply take it with her. My dad tossed us into the fireplace while he and my mother sat in front; trying to protect us. We didn't know that you have to leave windows cracked open (the pressure drops so much when the 'cane hits that it literally sucks out windows) so I watched as the whole sliding glass door unit was ripped out in one piece. Man.. I'd give anything to live thru that again; it was sheer exhilaration to say the least. As I grew older, we'd have "hurricane parties" where everybody would gather in what we hoped was the sturdiest house. We'd fill the bathtub up with beer/ice (electricity always went off for several days back then; nobody could afford a generator), the freezer with ice only, turn on flash lights and partay like never before. You could go outside and literally lean over parallel to the ground if the winds were strong enuf. If the 'cane just missed us the surf was so gnarled up that we'd flock to the beach. If it was too big to surf, we sailed it on Hobie Cats. Nowadays, the local government won't let anybody near the freakin' beaches when this happens. Sad :\

Anyways.. This year, according to NOAA, we'll have a "busier than normal" season, with 12-18 storms, 6 to 10 hurricanes, and 3 to 6 major 'canes. Now that's rockin' imo.

PG LANS Attended
    I agree, I love em, and the crazy weather, lived through several large hurricanes since I lived in Louisiana.

http://www.instituteofman.com
    Educate Yourself Think for Yourself Take Responsibility for Yourself

PG LANS Attended
    Hehe, I moved into my house the day before Ike hit Houston! I walked out into the Wind that night and leaned over more than 45 degrees it was crazy!

PG LANS Attended

Austin is warming up; this is the primary month for 'canes.
    Record highs for August are scattered back in early 20's and '50's. (history)
    Please don't post with that "Global Warming" garbage; if you look at weather history we've had plenty of hotter "seasons" than this.
    Not to mention we just went thru one of the coldest Winters on record.
    That "Global Warming" crap was conjured up so Al Gore could buy his new $9mil pad and fleet of corporate jets. Where is he now ?
    Sitting on a beach earning 20%...

Last edited by InSaNeOldGuy; 08-28-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Thread Information