Thread: DreamHack Summer 2011

1. #1 DreamHack Summer 2011 
    Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended

Going on now... World's largest LAN party (according to Guinness) held every year in Jonkoping, Sweden... StarCraft 2 (1v1) headlines the event this year, with CS 1.6 (5v5) as the second title. Quake Live (1v1; 4v4 TDM) of course. Other games including prize $$$ here. BF3 was shown yesterday to a welcome reception; no surprise there as it was "made in Sweden".

DH started back in the early '90's with a few friends partying in the basement of a school cafeteria. Last year a record was set with 12,754 computers and 13,608 visitors. This "Digital Festival" takes place over 4 days, goes 24-7, and is alcohol/drug free so it's open to all ages (average age: 16). Players sleep on site in a separate hall. Entry fee for this event is $850 SEK or $132 US and is non-refundable, even if the event is cancelled (see Participant Rules here). You pick a seat on the charts below and if you can't make it, you can give or sell it to somebody else. Food and beverages are extra.

Event setup is pretty awesome; 450+ volunteers work in shifts as they make tables using pallets for support and covering them with 3/4" plywood. Your allotted table space is 3' wide and 2' deep. Electrical is dropped from the ceiling to large panels located at the end of every other row (panels feed two rows or about 280 computers each). You can see the switches mounted on edge on top of the table rows. Cool layout where the main stage is in the BYOC; you can simply sit at your computer and watch the shows:

Cleanup is kinda rough as these kids leave a ton of debris; fortunately the local city pitches in to help out. The event organizers were actually presented an award last year by the city council for all the $$$ DH brings to the local economy.

DreamHack Summer 2011 Site HERE
    Last edited by InSaNeOldGuy; 06-21-2011 at 04:58 AM.

MadMax
    I've always wanted to go to DreamHack, but that's $$$ for a flight plus the cost of bringing your computer.

I wish they had BYOCs like that here....

MadMax

Taking a CRT to a LAN is like riding a moped, masturbating, or having sex with a fat chick - it works, but your friends will make fun of you if they see you doing it.
    Last edited by MadMax; 06-20-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Operations Manager, Online Server Admin, Event Setup Administrator InSaNeOldGuy's Avatar
    PG LANS Attended
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
    I've always wanted to go to DreamHack, but that's $$$ for a flight plus the cost of bringing your computer.

Round trip airfare from Austin is about $1500 purchased 30 days in advance; shipping your computer/monitor via FedEx to a FE outlet in Stockholm runs about $450 one way. Food/drink at the venue is a bit pricy.. Allow $100/day for 4 days. Ticket to venue $132.

Total cost of your trip (assuming you already have your passport) would be $2940.
    Last edited by InSaNeOldGuy; 06-20-2011 at 04:58 PM.

MadMax
    I've had a passport for several years - since you now need it to go to Canada and Mexico.

PG LANS Attended
    Laptop ftw?!! One of these days when I am rich I am totally going

PG LANS Attended
    DreamHack Summer 2011 opening show; this is one CRAAAAAZY LAN event :

Thread Information